Chicken has finally taken over as the number one spot for American Meat Eaters! Not only is it a healthier choice than Beef but check out so many other reasons to reduce your Beef intake https://www.peta.org/living/food/top-10-reasons-eat-cows/.
The issue with Chicken is cooking it properly! It is either to dry, has no taste or worst case scenario if handled incorrectly can make you sick!Between working in Commercial Kitchens and cooking as a Personal Chef I have developed some tricks over the years to ensure flavorful and moist Chicken.
- Dry Brine it is worth the time. Remove Chicken from package one day prior to cooking. Pat it dry and place on foiled lined baking sheet then sprinkle both sides generously with Kosher Salt. Place in lowest shelf in refrigerator overnight. This method relaxes the fibers and lets the meat absorb their natural juices making it juicy and tender.
- Cook at a higher Temperature 450. Using a shorter cooking time will help to seal in moisture. Internal temperature should read 160. Remove the Chicken and place a loose foil tent over as there will be carry over cooking.
- Even surface, make sure to pound or slice the Chicken Breast so they are same size this will ensure even cooking.
- Breading, the standard breading practice is FEB Flour, Egg, Breadcrumbs but there are so many options, With so many people going Gluten Free it’s easy to get the same amazing flavors using substitutes https://spoonuniversity.com/how-to/gluten-free-bread-crumb-substitutes don’t forget to add fresh herbs and your favorite cheese.
- Baking versus Frying I like the below recipe!
Perfect Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 4 chicken breasts, about 8 oz each, sliced in half lengthwise to make 8
- 3/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs, I use a combination of Italian Breadcrumbs and Panko
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 tbsp butter, melted (or olive oil)
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara
- olive oil spray
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Spray a large baking sheet lightly with spray.
- Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a bowl. Melt the butter in another bowl. Lightly brush the butter onto the chicken, then dip into breadcrumb mixture. Place on baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Lightly spray a little more oil on top and bake in the oven 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reads 160.
- Remove from oven, spoon 1 tbsp sauce over each piece of chicken and top each with 1 1/2 tbsp of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.