June ’18 – Fridge Tips
Summer is a great time to really clean out your refrigerator. With the farmers markets and fruit stands in full swing eating fresh is a breeze but it can seem like a lot of work. Here are a few tips to make your food prep really work for you!
- Throw out any old produce and try to plan a menu for the week ahead. If you are a person who would rather decide what to cook as you are shopping you still need to keep your purchases to what is achievable not only for time sake but for cutting down on waste. Most people throw out 15- 20 % of fresh items weekly because they just don’t get to it or it goes bad before they do.
- When you return from the grocery or farmers market wash and store everything that day. By prepping all your vegetables that day you set yourself up to enjoy fresh salads and vegetables all week with only minutes to plate a salad or sauté whatever you like.
- Fresh Herb Storage: Basil should be kept at room temperature in a glass container filled with a few inches of water with a plastic bag covering it. This will keep it fresh all week. Other herbs like cilantro, dill and mint can either be kept the same way as basil but in the fridge or wrapped in damp paper towel and placed in plastic storage bag in the vegetable drawer.
- Summer dressings are so simple; with the abundance of fresh herbs you can simply add a few pantry staples and have the perfect dressings. It can be as simple as fresh lemons and limes whisked with good extra virgin olive oil and if you like, some Dijon mustard or a little white wine vinegar or a vinegar of your choice.
Recipe: Mustard and Herb Vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs, such as tarragon, chives, parsley, dill, basil and cilantro
- Salt and pepper
Directions: Combine mustard, garlic, and vinegar. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Mix in herbs. Season with salt and pepper.
Learn More About Chef Patricia’s Services
Learn how to Give the Gift of Food via a gift certificate
Learn about Event Catering in Tryon NC and the surrounding area